In simple terms we are just big walking organisms, made up of a bunch of cells.
Mitochondrion are the energy powerhouse of our cells. Other roles they play include: Oxidative phosphorylation = ATP, calcium signaling modulation, cell death initiation, insulin resistance, and energy production of skeletal muscle.
To support the mitochondrial function, two things we can do are as follows:
- Take CoEnzyme Q10 daily. It’s a key component of cellular respiratory chain of mitochondria, an antioxidant, and principle gene regulator in muscle tissue.
- Exercise. Low volume, high intensity interval training (HIIT) increases PGC‐1 alpha and activates mitochondrial biogenesis in skeletal muscle.
Some of the general clinical effects of mitochondrial dysfunction are:
- Insulin resistance, Type 2 diabetes
- Chronic inflammation
- Cardiovascular problems
- Immune and/or autoimmune dysfunction
- Sleep problems
- Gut conditions (IBS, Crohn’s)
- Neurodegenerative conditions
- Muscular dystrophy
- Loss of muscle mass/function
You only have one body, and you only live in it once. Get your EDGE on and keep it strong!